Monday, November 11, 2013

Busy Days

I know this post is a week late, but I am just providing an update in the meantime before getting back to the more project-related blog posts that I typically have.

In the lab, we have mainly been working on cleaning and staining the roots from the bioassay in order to mount them on slides for us to do counts of the mycorrhizae present when viewed under a microscope. I will provide the exact protocols in next week's blog post. I am also about to start a side project for my evolution class that will explore the evolution of mycorrhizal symbioses, which should be a very interesting and helpful bit of knowledge to have.

My days have been especially crazy as I am applying to graduate school and am working on polishing my application essays and CV, and I finally have enough letters of recommendation to apply! Last Friday, I visited Penn State University again, which is my top choice for grad school. I am looking to apply to one of the integrated biology programs there, particularly in either bioinformatics & genomics or genetics. After meeting with some really great potential advisors, the plot has thickened, and I am not entirely sure of which program I will be applying to. I am sure it will become clear with a couple more weeks of personal reflection and discussion. If anyone has any advice in the graduate school application process, please let me know.

Soon I will be able to provide some more root-related information! Until then, in the words of Thomas Huxley, "Try to learn something about everything and everything about something".

No comments:

Post a Comment