Thursday, December 19, 2013

Leaving The Lab, But Not The Roots

As the semester has wrapped to a close with the rest of my collegiate career, I just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me and expressed their interest in my work over the past 6 months. It has been such a great experience working in the soil lab and I really thank my mentor, Dr. Chaudhary for giving me such a great opportunity. I will be continuing the blog as best I can, even though I will no longer be in Chicago to do much lab work.


This week I have been trying to clean the lab and get some of the root scoring accomplished. So far it has been very interesting-we have seen a lot of mycorrhizal colonization, as shown by the high number of hyphae, arbuscular, and vesicular intersections that I have encountered in the first 10 samples that I have had the time to score. Some of these slides come from the newer, tiled green roofs, which is a good sign!


I will be continuing to work on this data for much of the next semester, so hopefully I will be able to share a bit of that. Until then, I will be taking a little break to celebrate my graduation from Loyola University Chicago and to plan my next move. Thank you for joining me!


1 comment:

  1. Never forget your roots! Thanks for all your hard work, Emily. I hope you will keep up the blog because I LOVE reading it!! Can't wait til you come back to LUC, but enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete